Originally created by Katie Rebillot, M.D. as part of the 2016 Emergency Medicine Wellness Week™
ARE YOU BURNED OUT?
We all know what burnout is, but sometimes it’s difficult to recognize the signs and symptoms.
Classic symptoms of burnout may include the following:
- Compassion fatigue
- Sleep disturbances
- Physical and emotional exhaustion
- Drug/alcohol abuse
- Relationship rifts
- Decreased sense of personal accomplishment
- Take care of yourself, first and foremost – Sleep. Eat healthy. Exercise. It’s not easy but you must make time for these things.
- Spend time with your family (mindfully…)
- Get away! Long vacation or day trips…sometimes just a day away from the hustle-bustle of the city is just what you need
- Meditation and mindfulness – appreciating the present moment will help you love your job again and love your free time
- Take time to yourself – time to veg, binge watch Netflix, do a Korean facial, etc.
- Conflict resolution – don’t let your problems fester
- Don’t neglect your hobbies – put aside time every week to do something that brings you joy, even if only for an hour
- Avoid delayed gratification and the curative fantasy – find time to do what you love now and don’t wait until later, because later will never come
- COLOR YOUR LIFE! for the girls / for the boys